New York City, NY – Top attorney handles taxi accidents, bicycle accidents, bus accidents, MTA, medical malpractice, doctor errors, wrongful death, aviation accidents, airline injuries & death, and construction cases. Attorney Jonathan C. Reiter consistently delivers results.
Anyone who lives in New York City knows that you can’t go far without seeing a taxi. Whether it’s a typical yellow cab or a rideshare vehicle like Uber or Lyft, taxis are extremely common. In fact, there are about 13,500 yellow cabs in New York City, along with approximately 46,000 Uber vehicles.
Unfortunately, these vehicles don’t always give pedestrians and bicyclists the right of way, which means people on foot and on bikes are at risk of being seriously hurt in a collision with a taxi.
If your bicycle was hit by a taxi or rideshare driver, you have important rights. It’s in your best interest to speak with an experienced New York City bicycle accident lawyer as soon as possible, as there are strict time limits for filing a personal injury claim.
Common Types of Bicycle Accidents
After a bicycle accident, many people don’t know where to turn or what steps to take next. In the aftermath of a collision, it’s normal for accident victims to feel stunned and overwhelmed. They may even brush off a collision or minimize their injuries in an attempt to return to their normal life.
However, bicycle collisions with vehicles typically result in serious injuries, even if the symptoms don’t automatically appear. In some cases, it can take a few days or even weeks for the physical effects to manifest. Some of the more common types of bicycle accidents include:
- Dooring Accidents – A dooring accident occurs when a cab driver opens their car door directly into the path of a bicyclist. This can cause bicyclists to suffer serious injuries.
- Taxis in Bicycle Lanes – Serious accidents can also occur when a cab or rideshare driver enters a bicycle lane. These lanes are designated for bicyclists for a reason. When a cab enters or parks in these lanes, bicyclists will likely not be expecting them, and might not see them until it’s too late.
- Hooking Accidents – Devastating accidents can also happen when a cab turns into the path of a bicyclist. This is sometimes called “hooking,” as the taxi can catch the bicyclist along their side, resulting in catastrophic injuries.
- Making Negligent Turns – Some of the most serious bicycle accidents happen when a taxi turns into the path of a bicyclist. Even when a cab is traveling at a relatively low rate of speed, any type of collision between a vehicle and bicycle can result in devastating injuries. Bicyclists have little protection against the size and speed of a motor vehicle.
- Distracted Driving – Just like any other driver, taxi and rideshare drivers can get distracted behind the wheel. When they look at a text or interact with a passenger, they might not see a bicyclist in their path.
It’s an unfortunate reality that many of the insurance companies that insure taxis in New York City will take extreme steps to deny or delay an injury claim. The insurance companies in the cab industry are extremely powerful, and it’s in their business interest to minimize personal injury claims whenever they can.
When a bicyclist is struck by a cab, they might be approached by one of these insurance companies. Without realizing it, a bicyclist can compromise their rights to compensation and damages by agreeing to a quick settlement that undervalues their claim. This can leave an injured bicyclist paying out of pocket for medical bills and other damages.
Steps After a Taxi Cab Collision
After a collision with a taxi cab or rideshare vehicle, it’s important to take certain steps. The first step is to start by treating the accident as you would any other motor vehicle collision and take the name and contact information of the cab or rideshare driver, as well as their insurance information.
It’s also important to get certain information from a New York City cab driver or rideshare operator. You should be sure to obtain their chauffeur’s license number or taxicab driver license number, as well as their taxicab medallion or street hail livery license number.
If you’re struck by a rideshare driver, make sure to obtain the driver’s personal information, along with their company insurance information. Rideshare companies like Uber and Lyft insure their drivers up to a certain amount while they are working for the company.
When a person is injured as the result of a taxi driver or a rideshare driver, he or she should seek medical attention as soon as possible following the accident. Some injury victims are reluctant to seek medical attention after an accident, but it’s important for a healthcare professional to evaluate your injuries and condition for symptoms that may take days to appear following an accident. If you delay seeking treatment, the insurance company may try to claim you weren’t truly injured, or that another event occurring between the accident and your treatment is responsible for your injuries.
How a Bicycle Accident Lawyer Can Help
Working with an experienced New York City bicycle accident lawyer is paramount for taxi cab and rideshare collision injury victims to receive the compensation they deserve. If you’ve been injured in this type of accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, damage to your bicycle and other property, pain and suffering, and more. Get in touch with a bicycle accident lawyer at the top law firm in New York City, by calling Attorney Jonathan C. Reiter today at (212) 736-0979.
Find more articles about bicycle accidents and taxi accidents in NYC by visiting Injury Accident News.
NYC Personal Injury Attorney Jonathan C. Reiter